With just a couple of months short of my 29th birthday I start to feel the pressure of the big three and O just lurking around the corner, counting on me to start freaking the F out. But…I’m not really feeling it. I’m pretty sure the 30s rock better.
Don’t get me wrong, the 20s were great. I left home, moved to a bigger city all by myself. Discovered new things I like, old things I liked and don’t anymore. It was really a time for discovering, experimenting, dreaming and becoming your own person. There’s room for mistakes and you don’t have any real responsibilities yet. What’s an exam you start studying for the night before compared to getting a loan to buy a house. My knowledge on the French Revolution hasn’t been very helpful, but that’s an article for another day.
So it has been a decade of learning and hitting my head on so many disappointments. Let’s face it: heading out in the real world – not so much fun. Everything you thought it would be just isn’t there. Don’t get me started on the dream job that doesn’t pay even half as much as one needs, but you never think about money before hand. Not until you start living in the real world do you realise that you actually need to pay for stuff that seemed to just be there, like electricity, food and clothes.
So after all the letdowns that would sometimes trump the fun stuff (I will miss not having a hangover or eating all the junk food I wanted), I am ready to leave my 20s behind me and start a new era. Let me give you 10 reasons why:
- There’s no more drama, no, thank you! Nobody has time for that in their 30s.
- No more compromises in relationships. You know what you like and what you don’t so there’s no more wasting your time with the wrong person.
- You don’t care about what others think anymore. Really, who cares? How good is it to do your own thing without so much of a thought about what others may say? Life is short.
- You use your time wisely. So, you may not be as energetic as when you were bar hopping all night and attending a full day of classes, but you don’t even need to do that anymore. Your time is precious and you use it accordingly.
- There’s wisdom now. Experiences don’t just pass you by, they leave a mark. You learn and you learn and now you actually know how to handle yourself in so many situations.
- You have an idea on how the world works. So you know exactly how to make it work for you. Yep, you got a lot smarter.
- There’s more money. The 20s were fun, sure, but now you have a career and starting to afford nice things.
- Wine tastes better. You have acquired taste for fine alcohol, not just drinks that get you buzzed.
- And for food. Food is not just a sandwich and chips, anymore.
- You know what you want. From life, relationships, friendships, career and all that. You know a way lot more than you did 10 years ago.
All this being said, I am very certain my 30s are going to rock. And I cannot wait to become a real grown up!